Posted: July 31, 2018
Vision is arguably the most important sense that we have. Nearly every second of our day revolves around sight, so the desire to have clear vision is universal. Activities like reading, playing sports, traveling, and simply enjoying life all become easier and more convenient without the hassle of glasses and contacts.
Given how important your eyesight is, it is only natural to wonder about the safety of blade-free, all-laser LASIK. At Griffin & Reed Eye Care we are deeply committed to your safety. While some LASIK centers focus on the sheer number of procedures they can perform, we focus on doing everything we can to ensure a safe procedure and successful outcome.
How We Ensure a Safe Procedure
The values of our practice truly set us apart from other facilities. We believe in treating our patients like family. That is why everything we do is centered around minimizing potential risks and enhancing the outcome of your surgery. Our commitment to patient safety can be seen from the moment you contact us to discuss LASIK until long after you have had your procedure.
To ensure the safest possible procedure, we:
- Thoroughly evaluate your candidacy: Your potential laser vision correction surgeon, not just a technician, will examine you during your consultation. Your surgeon will perform thorough tests and conduct scans of your eyes to determine your candidacy for LASIK. Every potential candidate will have their eyes scanned by the Pentacam, which we believe is the most accurate and detailed diagnostic tool available. We also insist on seeing you for additional pre-operative appointments. These appointments allow us to validate your measurements in order to ensure the safest and most accurate procedure.
- Perform your surgery using the most advanced equipment: We use only state-of-the-art equipment during your LASIK procedure because the level of technology impacts the safety of the procedure. We have yet to find anything that compares to the safety of the Ziemer Z4 Femtosecond Laser for flap creation and the Alcon WaveLight® EX500 Excimer Laser for treatment. While other equipment may cost less to operate, the failure rate is higher. Our equipment is thoroughly maintained and calibrated to guarantee that it is functioning properly.
- Do not use the “plug and play” method of laser programming: LASIK results can vary by surgeon, even if the same laser is used, because of how the laser is programmed. Many surgeons use the “plug and play” method, which involves entering a patient’s prescription and relying on the laser to make calculations. Instead, our surgeons have developed a proprietary method of programming, that incorporates our meticulously gathered surgical outcome data. This method raises the probability that one treatment will provide the desired outcome from about 65 percent to 98 percent.
- Ensure the safest environment for your procedure: We maintain the highest standards of cleanliness in our vision correction surgery area. Our staff members treat the area as a sterile operating facility and wear masks, gloves, and surgical scrubs. You will not find this at every LASIK facility, but we know that it is important to maintain sterile conditions in order to reduce the chance of inflammation or infection.
- Rely on experience and training: We have been performing laser vision correction surgery since 1994. Our doctors and surgeons are all board certified, and this can be verified through the Medical Board of California. The board has licensing and regulatory functions that help promote access to quality medical care.
- Collect and track patient data: Many laser vision correction surgeons do not track data from their patients because of the financial cost to do so. We wholeheartedly believe that collecting patient data is worthwhile. This data allows us to program our Excimer Laser based on ongoing patient experience to provide a safer and more accurate procedure. We have compiled data for thousands of patients that we have treated.
- Follow-up personally after your surgery: Our surgeons insist on personally performing your follow-up exams after surgery. These exams allow us to monitor the healing process and collect patient data.
- Stand by the outcome of the procedures we perform: We know that our approach to LASIK safety and effectiveness has a positive impact on our patient’s visual outcome. That is why we offer 20/20 Vision From Your LASIK Surgery Or Your Money Back. We will always be here to answer any questions or concerns that you have, even years after your surgery. Our practice has been an integral part of the Northern California community for decades.
Schedule Your LASIK Consultation Today
LASIK complications can often be traced back to poor technology, cutting corners, and inexperienced surgeons. We are happy to answer any additional questions that you may have about the safety of LASIK during your complimentary consultation. Schedule your consultation today by calling 916-485-2020. We welcome patients from across Northern California at our Sacramento and Roseville locations.