Posted: September 25, 2018
So, you’ve decided that you want to enjoy day-to-day life without the need for corrective eyewear. You want to wake up in the morning without fumbling around for your glasses, and you want to fall asleep at night without remembering to take your contacts out.
You’ve already scheduled your blade-free, all-laser LASIK appointment and you’re excited to start seeing the world. Unobstructed vision is something to look forward to, but don’t forget to prepare for some of the things that you will need to take care of after your LASIK surgery.
To help you plan, here are a few items that should be on your post-LASIK checklist:
- Arrange a ride home: Though many people find that LASIK recovery is very short, you won’t be ready to drive immediately after your procedure. Plan on having someone take you home after your surgery.
- Follow your post-operative instructions: Our surgeons will provide you with some detailed after-care guidelines. It’s important to follow all of these instructions in order to protect your eyes. You will receive directions that tell you when to administer eye drops, when you can resume your normal activities, and what behaviors you might need to avoid for a little while.
- Attend your follow-up appointments: Our laser vision correction surgeons insist on personally performing post-operative exams one day and one week after your surgery. We want to monitor your progress and recovery to ensure that you achieve the best possible visual outcome. Come prepared with any questions or concerns that you want to discuss.
After these initial appointments, you will also meet with other members of our staff as we continue to monitor your healing process and collect patient data.
- Consider purchasing a high-quality pair of sunglasses: Now that you’ve invested in your vision, it’s time to protect your eyes. High-quality sunglasses can block damaging UVA and UVB rays, while less expensive options may only block UVB rays. Polarized lenses can offer added protection by limiting the amount of reflected light that reaches your eyes. Our ophthalmologists and optometrists can recommend the pair that is right for you from our curated Optical Shop.
- Contact the DMV: Some people may not think of this right away, but it’s essential to visit the DMV and remove your driver license restriction for corrective lenses. If you no longer need eyeglasses or contact lenses to drive, you need to update the information on your license to avoid any issues. If your visual acuity is relevant to your occupation, you may need to inform your employer too.
- Enjoy your crystal-clear vision: This step is probably the most important because it’s the reason you’re getting LASIK. Start making a list of the things that you are excited to see without corrective lenses. 98% of our patients achieve 20/20 (or at least 20/25) vision after one surgery!
Contact Us for a Complimentary Consultation
At Griffin & Reed Eye Care, we combine experience and state-of-the-art equipment to offer the results that our patients want. We stand by the outcomes of the procedures we perform and offer 20/20 Vision From Your LASIK Surgery Or Your Money Back to qualified patients.
If you haven’t scheduled a LASIK appointment yet and you are interested in the procedure, call us at 916-485-2020 to arrange your complimentary consultation. Our laser vision correction surgeons will thoroughly examine your eyes to determine your candidacy for the procedure, as well as answer any questions that you may have. We welcome patients from across the Northern California community at our Sacramento and Roseville locations.