Our doctors have a deep commitment to patient safety. When you're dealing with something as important as vision, you don't want to take any chances. Our doctors are confident in their skills and surgical abilities, but using only the best technology can significantly reduce the risks involved. For that reason, we only offer LASIK using the latest Blade-free, All-laser LASIK technology.
- DIagnosis and Treatment Planning: To help determine the most accurate diagnosis, we utilize Oculus Pentacam technology.
- LASIK Flap Management: To provide the safest treatment possible, Griffin & Reed Eye Care utilizes the Ziemer Z4 Femtosecond Laser.
- Laser Eye Treatment: We offer the most advanced excimer laser technology, the Alcon WaveLight® EX500 laser.
The Pentacam is the most advanced diagnostic tool available to LASIK surgeons. It utilizes a highly sophisticated camera system to scan and measure a variety of parts of the outer portion of your eye, including your cornea, anterior chamber, iris and lens. It collects up to 25,000 data points in a scan that takes about 2 seconds for each eye, and creates a 3D model for your surgeon to analyze. This allows us to have a precise elevation map of the surface of your cornea, and helps us provide the most accurate diagnisis for your treatment. Most importantly, the recommendations we make for laser vision correction will be as safe as possible
In order to apply the laser treatment in LASIK surgery, a thin flap must first be created on your cornea. We believe that Blade-free, All-laser LASIK, utilizing an advanced femtosecond laser, is the safest and most effective technology available to create your LASIK flap. The femosecond laser we utilize is the Ziemer Z4 Femtosecond Laser, which utilizes laser light to accurately create the corneal flap at a very specific depth that your surgeon determines.
If we used the next-best instruments, we could save potentially tens of thousands of dollars per year. However, by using the next-best instrument, we would increase our patients' at risk, since the next best instrument has an unacceptable failure rate. Poor design and poor engineering will lead to malfunction even in the hands of experienced surgeons. Some instruments may malfunction as often as 1 in 200 treatments due to design or engineering flaws. A failure could be just a minor problem or a blinding complication. We find this to be unacceptable. We continually evaluate new technology options to our Ziemer Z4 Femtosecond Laser, but have yet to find anything as good or better. If there was something better, we would be using it.
Alcon WaveLight® EX500 Excimer Laser
To accurately treat your eye in laser vision correction surgery, we invested in the eye care industry's most advanced laser technology. The Alcon WaveLight® EX500 Excimer Laser delivers a number of benefits and provides patients with a greater level of safety and visual outcome potential.
- Faster Treatment: The Alcon WaveLight® EX500 is the only 500Hz excimer laser with an average treatment time of 1.4 seconds per diopter.
- More Advanced Treatment: WaveLight® technology allows corrective treatment to align more with the natural curvature of your eye to reduce glaring and night vision issues.
- Safer Treatment: By reducing the time to perform the LASIK procedure, the WaveLight® technology can reduce stromal dehydration of the cornea, flap shrinkage, sensativity to eye movements and minimize the patient's eye-fixation fatigue.
We use only the best equipment available and our equipment is continually calibrated to insure the best possible outcome for our patients. We do not reuse materials on multiple patients to save money as some centers in our area have been reported to do in local publications. We do not cut corners to pad a profit margin at the potential expense of our trusting patients.
There is a definite difference in LASIK technology that can make a big impact on your outcomes and experience. We encourage patients to thoroughly understand those differences. Call us at (916) 485-2020 for details.